About the influenza vaccines
- Influenza vaccines protect against viruses that cause influenza, often called the flu.
- These vaccines do not protect against other viruses or bacteria that cause colds or “stomach flu”.
- In the Yukon, there are 3 different types of flu vaccines offered based on age
- Live, weakened nasal vaccine for people ages 2 to 17 (Flumist®)
- Inactivated high dose vaccine for people ages 65 and older (Fluzone® High Dose)
- Inactivated vaccine for people ages 6 months and older (Fluzone®)
- The flu shot is free and available to Yukoners ages 6 months and older.