About the COVID-19 vaccines
- COVID-19 vaccines cause our body to produce antibodies that help keep us from getting sick if we are exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
- If infected, the vaccines can also reduce symptoms and help prevent serious illness, hospitalization or death.
- There are currently 3 COVID-19 vaccines available in the Yukon:
- Pfizer Comirnaty (mRNA)
- Moderna Spikevax (mRNA)
- Novavax Nuvaxovid (protein-based)
- You need 2 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine to get full protection. This is called your primary series. A 3rd dose is recommended for people with moderate to severely compromised immune systems such as those receiving active cancer treatment.
- After your primary series, additional doses 6 months later helps “boost” your protection. These are called a booster dose.
- There are currently no COVID-19 vaccines for anyone 5 months of age or younger.